//TASTY TUESDAY: where I spotlight this week’s book by pairing it with an appetizing food and drink recipe…//
THE HUNGER GAMES (THE HUNGER GAMES #1), by Suzanne Collins, Scholastic, © 2008 * NOTE: I’m reading the Large Print Thorndike Press version of this book; it was the only available copy at my library, all these years post-publication 😉
I first read this book about 3 years ago and watched the movie. I devoured the book; the movie, although well-acted, was just “okay” in my humble opinion. I’m reading this again right now with my fiancé for our long-distance book buddy read (LDBBR). We are reading it slowly, so as to keep pace with each other’s reading progress. I’m just 2 chapters in, but it’s all coming back to me, and I’m itching to blast through it again.
This time I’m also listening to an OverDrive audio narration of the book, and liking it very much. I seem to most enjoy reading a physical book and pairing it with an audio performance. (This might seem a little odd, but for me it’s the best way to read and truly “experience” a book, given the narration is superb!)
For this week’s Tasty Tuesday post, I thought I’d offer up a food and drink recipe for anyone who’s truly HUNGRY for a feast! Also, I’m Italian so I’m going for a spaghetti recipe this time. (I love playing on the titles of the books I’m currently reading; that’s half the fun!)
SPAGHETTI ALLA PUTTANESCA (clink this link to go to original recipe)
- 400 g spaghetti
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 10 anchovy fillets in oil, drained, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 600 g (about 4) tomatoes, chopped, juice reserved
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 50 g (¼ cup) salted capers, rinsed, drained, chopped)
- 50 g (⅓ cup) pitted black olives, roughly chopped
- extra virgin olive oil and grated Italian Parmesan (such as Grana Padano), to serve
- Cook pasta in a large saucepan of boiling, salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving a few tablespoons cooking water.
2. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic, anchovy and parsley and cook for 1 minute, but don’t allow to brown. Add tomato and juice, chilli, capers and olives. Simmer for 4 minutes or until tomato has broken down, adding a little reserved cooking water, if necessary. Season with pepper, remove from heat and keep warm until pasta is cooked.
3. Add pasta to sauce. Toss to combine, adding a little extra virgin olive oil to taste. Serve immediately with grated Parmesan and seasoned with black pepper.
The meal is Italian, and the drinks are Australian; this Hunger Games-inspired Tasty Tuesday is jumping from country to country, and everything looks delicious!
SPARKLING APPLE VODKA DRINKS (click this link to go to original recipe)
- 60 ml (¼ cup) vodka (I like McHenry’s Puer Vodka from Tassie)
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) cloudy apple juice
- 160 ml (⅔ cup) soda water
- crushed ice
- cinnamon quills, to serve (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake for a few seconds. Serve immediately, perhaps with cinnamon quills as swizzle sticks, if desired.
NOTE: PLEASE DROP ME A LINE IF YOU ARE ENJOYING THE BOOK + RECIPE + DRINK! Are you reading the book and liking it, or not so much? Let’s talk about it!
Recipe and photo credit: http://www.sbs.com.au/food/