//TASTY TUESDAY: where I spotlight this week’s book by pairing it with an appetizing food and drink recipe…//
TROUBLEMAKER, by Leah Remini, Ballantine books, © 2015
I’m on page 58 of this memoir, and I am loving it! Remini recounts her thirty-plus year involvement with the Church of Scientology with honesty, humor, and well…”balls.” She exposes the organization for its rampant mistreatment, hypocrisy, celebrity endorsement fetish, and gives a general history of how she came to the realization that she wasn’t living her best life as a practicing Scientologist. I was hooked from the introduction!
I love the title of this book (“Troublemaker”) so I thought I’d go with a recipe that starts with “T” (truffles) and has a little “balls” itself (it’s a recipe for truffle balls with the kick of rum!) Don’t tell me you aren’t on board for RUM TRUFFLES!
I think these look especially delicious, and if you try the recipe you’ll have to let me know what you think!
RUM TRUFFLE BALLS (click this link to go to original recipe)
- 8 (1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup chocolate cake crumbs
- 2 teaspoons dark rum
- 1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles
- Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place chopped chocolate in a heatproof bowl.
- In a saucepan, combine cream and butter. Place over low heat, and bring to a boil. Pour over chocolate, and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Stir in cake crumbs and rum. Set aside until firm, but not hard.
- Roll heaping teaspoons of chocolate mixture into balls, then roll in the chocolate sprinkles. Place on the prepared tray. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm. Serve in small paper cups.
Ok, I’m being naughty for posting 2 recipes with alcohol as an ingredient, but this book is all about being a troublemaker! LOL. Let’s take it up another notch with a recipe for:
TEQUILA SUNRISE (click this link to go to original recipe)
- 1 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger tequila
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ice cubes
- 1/2 (1.5 fluid ounce) jigger grenadine syrup
- 1 slice orange, for garnish
- 1 maraschino cherry for garnish
- Stir or shake together tequila and orange juice. Fill a chilled 12 ounce glass with ice cubes; pour in orange juice mixture. Slowly pour in the grenadine, and allow it to settle to the bottom of the glass (be patient). Garnish with a slice of orange, and a maraschino cherry.
NOTE: PLEASE DROP ME A LINE IF YOU ARE ENJOYING THE BOOK + RECIPE + DRINK! Are you reading the book and liking it, or not so much? Let’s talk about it!
Recipe credit: allrecipes
See you tomorrow for another new feature. Until then, keep on reading and enjoying life! (Yes, alcohol can help with that! But don’t be TOO MUCH of a troublemaker!)
Your Friend in Books,